Here’s what’s for dinner tonight! My children love pasta, so I’m always looking for ways to make healthier versions of their favorite recipes. This Rustic Lasagna uses part-skim cheeses to help keep the fat and calories down, and the addition of broccoli and carrots adds both vitamins and fiber. The best part is it tastes great too!
9 lasagna noodles
2 cans (8 ounces each) low-sodium tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed of liquid
1 cup shredded carrot
1 container (15 to 16 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, but do not add salt.
2. While noodles are cooking, preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano. Mix well. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, carrot, ricotta, and Parmesan. Mix well.
4. Drain noodles in a colander. Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in bottom of prepared dish. Place 3 noodles on top of tomato sauce. Spread half of broccoli mixture over noodles. Spoon 1/2 cup of tomato sauce over broccoli; place 3 noodles on top. Spread with remaining broccoli mixture; top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
5. Top with remaining noodles and tomato sauce; sprinkle mozzarella over top. Bake until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for about 15 minutes; cut into squares.
Serves 8. Per Serving: 268 Calories, 32g Carbohydrates, 16g Protein, 8g Fat.