From Our Blog
Rustic LasagnaPosted on Mar 13, 13 in Recipes
Here’s what’s for dinner tonight! My children love pasta, so I’m always looking for ways to make healthier versions of their favorite recipes. This Rustic Lasagna uses part-skim cheeses to help keep the fat and calories down, and the addition of broccoli and carrots adds both vitamins and fiber. The best part is it tastes great too!
9 lasagna noodles
2 cans (8 ounces each) low-sodium tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed of liquid
1 cup shredded carrot
1 container (15 to 16 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, but do not add salt.
2. While noodles are cooking, preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano. Mix well. In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, carrot, ricotta, and Parmesan. Mix well.
4. Drain noodles in a colander. Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in bottom of prepared dish. Place 3 noodles on top of tomato sauce. Spread half of broccoli mixture over noodles. Spoon 1/2 cup of tomato sauce over broccoli; place 3 noodles on top. Spread with remaining broccoli mixture; top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
5. Top with remaining noodles and tomato sauce; sprinkle mozzarella over top. Bake until bubbling, about 45 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for about 15 minutes; cut into squares.
Serves 8. Per Serving: 268 Calories, 32g Carbohydrates, 16g Protein, 8g Fat.